Maldonado might loose his seat in 2013
Pastor Maldonado admitted on Thursday that his priority is to stay with the Williams team in 2013.
With financial backing in tow, the Venezuelan made his debut for the Grove team last season and, despite some ups and downs so far in this campaign, he broke through in Barcelona for Williams’ first pole and win in years. But he admitted at Spa Francorchamps that he is not yet signed up for 2013.
"First of all I am concentrating on this season," he told reporters in Belgium. "We’re only at about half the season behind us, but of course I am looking forward to the next one. The team is working hard on the new car. "We’ll see what happens," said Maldonado.
The 27-year-old, with crucial backing from the state owned oil company PDVSA, admitted he is not sure if he will be staying at Williams.
"No, there have not been any contract talks yet. I would say the team is waiting as usual for the end of the season," said Maldonado. "In formula one, you should never feel safe, but I think I have done a good job and have taken the team forward, especially after the disappointing 2011. "The mood in the team is much better now, I get along well with the people, but we have to wait. Anything can happen."
Asked if he is looking around at the alternatives, Maldonado answered: "This is still too early, but my manager will take care of it, even though my first choice is Williams. "We are making steady progress. I would like to win the world championship here before I say goodbye."
Info: GMM, Image: Williams F1 Team